Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Advent Devotions: Love (12/21/2021


 Tuesday December 21                         Love                                       John 15:1-9

I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower. He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it bear more fruit. You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love.

 ****

When I chose this date for a reflection, I didn’t know it would contain one of my favorite verses – I am the vine, you are the branches. I would like to believe that my stay on earth is for a reason. What is it? Raised in a loving church oriented family gave me a strong Lutheran background. I like to think that my life has been one of giving of myself when I can. God has blessed me with a much longer life than anyone in my immediate family for which I am grateful. I pray that as long as I live I can bear the fruit of Jesus’ love and help others to see how he and the Father care for us. It is with great joy that I serve my church and my God.

 

Prayer: Father, thank you for allowing me to be a branch in your vine. Bless all those who are reaching out to family, neighbors, countrymen so that we can continue to live in a peaceful world with love. Let us joyfully celebrate the birth of our Savior Jesus in whose name we pray. Amen.

 

Deacon Dorothy Kafalas

No comments:

Post a Comment