Monday, February 23, 2015

Feb. 23, 2015 TRANSGRESSION

Trespass...sin...debt...

These are the words that come to mind more quickly than "transgression".  It is not a word that we use very often in our daily conversations; its one of those "church words" that pops up from time to time in reference to our sinfulness, as we speak of our transgressions.

The American Heritage Dictionary defines "transgress" as "to go beyond or over (a limit); to act in violation of (a law or commandment); to step across"

I find that most of the sins which I admit and confess to are not those of written laws, but rather of a more personal nature.  My sins tend to affect others even more than myself.

In this sense, I am stepping over the bounds of a relationship; putting myself over and against someone else.  The greatest part of sIn is the "I" when I become I-focused and neglect my relationship with God and with those around me.

Where have you stepped over the line or gone beyond the boundary of relationships around you?

What comes to mind when you hear the word "transgression"?


Shared by Pastor Jen

1 comment: