Thursday, January 4, 2018

Christmas devotions: Jan.4, 2018

Thursday January 4
Matthew 3:13-17 Jesus is Baptized
Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan, to be baptized by him. John would have prevented him, saying, ‘I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?’ But Jesus answered him, ‘Let it be so now; for it is proper for us in this way to fulfil all righteousness.’ Then he consented. And when Jesus had been baptized, just as he came up from the water, suddenly the heavens were opened to him and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, ‘This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased.’
****
The day is warm and mild. I find myself sitting on this hill with many others listening and watching John the Baptist speaking and baptizing people in the Jordan. I wonder about his message. Then I see a strange man come along, wade into the water and talk with John. I’m surprised when John leans him back to immerse him in the water. But then I stare in disbelief as I see a bright light in the sky and a dove suddenly descending towards this person. But what I will never forget are the words that came from the sky, “This is my son, the beloved, with whom I am well pleased.” Then I knew without a doubt that the words that John spoke were true. My eyes have seen Jesus – I believe!

Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank you for sending your son, Jesus, to live among us and to die for us. Blessed are not only those who witnessed Jesus and believed but also all who have not been able to witness him but still believe. Amen


Dee Lockshiss

No comments:

Post a Comment