Saturday, February 20, 2021

40 Words of Lent: Fast (2/20/2021)

 


Fasting is one of the disciplines of Lent that I conveniently “forget”.  The thought of “going without” seems like more of a test of my willpower that I will fail more often than not.  It is probably why I never really got the idea of giving up something for Lent.  Why give us something like chocolate when come Easter morning, I would start to dismantle that chocolate rabbit as soon as I could.  It’s not like I would give up chocolate forever and it certainly had very little to do with my faith.

For it is really about faith and our relationship with God at the epicenter of any of the Lenten practices.  In scripture, fasting was a part of repentance as well as mourning.  Jesus fasted in the wilderness for 40 days at the beginning of his ministry.  It is a way to move from our normal routines and draw closer to God, to realize our dependence upon God.

In a culture that values success and independence, to think instead of giving up and dependence is counter intuitive. Yet, as people of faith, we look to the One in whom we live and move and have our being.  We turn to the One who gives us every breath that we take, to the One in whose image we are created.  Fasting reminds us of our reliance upon God.

A few years ago, Michael and I fasted one day a week from electronics; fasting doesn’t always have to be about food.  It realigned our focus that one day to our relationship with God and with one another.  It helped us to take a step back and remember what is really important 

What has or might help you draw closer in your relationship with God?  What might you need to fast from?

May we find in these days, a greater awareness of Christ’s love that is all around us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment