Monday, December 3, 2018

Advent Devotions: Monday, Dec. 3, 2018


Psalm 137:1-6                                                                 In a Foreign Land
By the rivers of Babylon—
   there we sat down and there we wept
   when we remembered Zion.
On the willows there
   we hung up our harps.
For there our captors
   asked us for songs,
and our tormentors asked for mirth, saying,
   ‘Sing us one of the songs of Zion!’
How could we sing the Lord’s song
   in a foreign land?
If I forget you, O Jerusalem,
   let my right hand wither!
Let my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth,
   if I do not remember you,
if I do not set Jerusalem
   above my highest joy.
****
When I read this psalm it really hit home. It brought to my attention the immigrants that are seeking asylum in a foreign land which is America.
They are escaping the threat of horrific conditions, poverty, gang murders and drug cartels. They want a better life than what they are experiencing now. Hopeful that America will give them that chance, they are willing to risk everything to give their children a better life. Even if it means being held in disgraceful conditions at a detention center on the borders of Mexico in the hope it will only be temporary. Their captors torment them and ridicule them, and they still sing praises to the Lord and hold onto their faith.
Prayer: Dear and wonderful protector, counselor and Lord of all. Protect and comfort those who are seeking a better life in a foreign land. Give them peace and hope to get through these most difficult times. In your name, O Lord. Amen

Joanne Halbekath is a member of Trinity Lutheran Church, Brewster, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment