Saturday, December 29, 2018

Advent Devotions: Saturday, Dec. 29, 2018


Luke 1:39-56                                                                              Mary’s Song
In those days Mary set out and went with haste to a Judean town in the hill country, where she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the child leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and exclaimed with a loud cry, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb. And why has this happened to me, that the mother of my Lord comes to me? For as soon as I heard the sound of your greeting, the child in my womb leaped for joy. And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her by the Lord.” And Mary said, “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked with favor on the lowliness of his servant. Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for the Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name. His mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation. He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts. He has brought down the powerful from their thrones, and lifted up the lowly; he has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away empty. He has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy, according to the promise he made to our ancestors, to Abraham and to his descendants forever.” And Mary remained with her about three months and then returned to her home.
****
What do you do when you have good news to share?  I remember going to the grocery store one day to buy food for a family gathering.  It was at a time when money was short in our house and I was torn because I wanted to get special foods to share with the extended family but at the same time I was worried about spending extra money.  I debated with myself as I filled the wagon, calculating in my head how much I was spending and getting more and more anxious.  After the groceries were rung up I handed over my store discount card.  The cashier scanned my card and the register started beeping. For a second the cashier looked surprised and then she said to me - “Wow, your groceries are free today!”  I couldn’t believe it - what a relief and how happy I felt at this stroke of good luck.  All that day and probably for the next week, the first story I told was about how my groceries had been free.  It was good news for me, a blessing I had not expected and I couldn’t keep it to myself. 
Reading Mary’s song today - in which she recalls all the ways that God has blessed the people of Israel and blessed her with the child Jesus within her, reminded me of how it feels to have good news to share.  How has God blessed you in your life?  What are the stories in your history that you could share about God’s presence in your life?  When we repeat our stories, we return to those moments and in the remembering we are brought closer to the one from whom all our blessings flow.  Celebrating Christmas reminds us that Jesus is with us, in every moment of our lives, good news that we are called to share.
Prayer: Present God, we give you thanks this day for all the stories of our lives.  Open our eyes to recognize your presence in each one, so that we can be daily overwhelmed with excitement and share this good news with everyone we meet.  Amen.

Dawn Morello is a seminary student at Luther Seminary in St. Paul Minnesota.  She is currently serving as an intern at the Lutheran Church of the Resurrection in Mount Kisco, NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment