Saturday, March 14, 2015

March 14, 2015 GUIDE

A friend has a guide dog.  She is blind, but her constant companion allows her to “see.”  He keeps her safe, steers her away from obstacles that could trip her up, shows her where and when to walk.  I’m amazed at the relationship these two have – it is one of complete trust.  She never doubts him.  And he is always there to keep her safe.  One is never without the other. 

My prayers often include prayers for guidance, and usually come at times when I feel that I cannot see the path ahead, when I’m afraid of unseen obstacles that could trip me up.  My prayers for guidance often come when I’m feeling alone, or afraid – when I feel that God is far from me.  It’s those times that I want a guide dog of my own who will lead me along the right paths to the green pastures and still waters. 

Wouldn’t it be great if we could all have guide dogs who would bump up against our knees when we have a difficult decision before us, pushing us in the right direction?  Or when worries overtake us and we lie wide awake in the middle of the night, if that guide dog would snuggle into us, assuring us that everything will be alright?  Or when our hearts are breaking, when we feel we can’t go on, when tears fill our eyes so we can’t see where we are going, wouldn’t it be great if that guide dog would nuzzle into us, sharing warmth and love, and lead us right to the place we need to go?

We do in fact have a guide dog who leads us.  A guide dog who walks beside us to places we may not be sure about, but who never abandons us, never leads us astray.  We simply need to lie back and trust that our guide – our God – will always be there. 

In those times I have trouble seeing what lies ahead, or which path I should take – when I am afraid, or my heart is breaking – my prayer is often this poem by Denise Levertov, calling me to simple trust.  God will always be there.

The Avowal

As swimmers dare
to lie face to the sky
and water bears them,
as hawks rest upon air
and air sustains them,
so would I learn to attain
freefall, and float
into Creator Spirit’s deep embrace,
knowing no effort earns
that all-surrounding grace. 




  
Shared by Pastor Joanne Stewart,
                  pastor at  the Lutheran Church of the Incarnate Word (Rochester, NY)

No comments:

Post a Comment