Monday, March 2, 2015

March 2, 2015 GO




I was invited to take a walk and photograph things that were imperfect, or ugly, or hard.  Then to pray, reflecting on these images, to see if I could find the beauty or the grace hidden within them.  Then compose a “Beatitude” or blessing.

It was winter and very cold when I came upon this wooden walk through some wetland.  It was icy, slippery. Some brave soul had walked this way before me, leaving just enough traction for me to very tentatively take a few steps into nature’s wilderness. 

After prayer and reflection I wrote “Blessed are the pioneers who make a way in the wilderness and create footprints for future generations to follow.” 

Like so many before us, we have been invited to “go.”  Sometimes that is pretty scary, as we don’t know what lies ahead. The pathway is not always easy.  But unlike Abraham and Sarah, we know that Jesus has walked this road before us…. even through suffering, betrayal, and death.  And so with gratitude and faith we take a step into the world… trusting in God’s future.



Pastor Marie C. Jerge, Lutheran pastor and former Bishop of Upstate NY

No comments:

Post a Comment