Thursday, March 5, 2015

March 5, 2015 HOME


HOME

Six years ago this month I bought my first house after 30+ years of parsonages and apartments.  I use the word "house" and not "home", because every place I lived in became my home, whether I owned it or not.  I had been thinking about "home" for several years before that. What is home?  What does it mean to be "at home?"  Is home a specific place or a state of mind?

I found some help with these questions from a couple of people whose works I admire.  In a  beautiful chapter in his book, Learning to Fall, The Blessings of An Imperfect Life, Philip Simmons writes about his house, and others in his New Hampshire town, most of which are never really finished.  He sees these unfinished houses as a symbol of our unfinished lives - with always something more to be done, projects underway, plans for future improvements - all delayed by lack of money or time or motivation or health or something else.  We get used to this state of incompleteness, or unsettledness, and for Simmons that's not a bad thing.  "Only so far as we are unsettled is there any hope for us. Let us remain unsettled, therefore, in order that we may truly live." (44). The present moment is all that we have - that is the unfinished house in which we live.

 According to Servite Sister Joyce Rupp, our pilgrim hearts are always on a journey, as we make our way home to God.  In this life we are all "on loan" to each other, and we cherish this life, and all that comes with it - but it is not our final destination.  There is a restlessness in our spirits that longs for the home of God's heart. Knowing that we are  "on loan" to each other, we take this journey together - and as with any journey, we enjoy the scenery, and the company, even as we anticipate the destination.

I am glad I bought my house, with its abundance of joys and challenges. It makes me feel more settled in my work as an interim pastor. And yes, I have a list of projects that will probably never get done. But whether I live here for one more year, or 20 more, I know that I'm still a pilgrim, and part of me will always be unsettled.  The words of St. Augustine come to mind here:  "You have formed us for yourself, O God, and our hearts are restless until they rest in you."

May your Lenten journey be truly blessed!

Shared by Pastor Jerrie Shepard Matney, Baptist interim ministry



No comments:

Post a Comment