Monday, December 13, 2021

Advent Devotions: Joy (1213/2021)


 Monday December 13                          Joy                                   John 14:20-22

On that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. They who have my commandments and keep them are those who love me; and those who love me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them.” Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, “Lord, how is it that you will reveal yourself to us, and not to the world?”

****

Jesus taught in parables, yes. But as far as his disciples were concerned, he also taught in riddles. And on this dark and joyless Thursday night, the last night of Jesus’ life, he has been trying their patience.

It has been a confusing evening for the disciples. Before the Passover meal is served, Jesus confounds them by washing their feet, an apparent act of servility that strikes most of them – especially Peter – as highly inappropriate. “You also ought to wash one another’s feet,” Jesus tells them, a directive that has made church folks uncomfortable (and often noncompliant) for two millennia.

The disciples understand Jesus’ commandment to love one another because they have heard it before. But when he says his death is imminent and will be preceded by betrayal and abandonment, their confusion deepens. Jesus’ declaration that those who know him also know the father only perplexes them further, and Philip’s response must have been hurtful: “Lord, show us the father and we will be satisfied.”

Now Jesus talks of a time when “I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you; and those who love me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them.”

They do not understand. Understanding will have to wait until Jesus’ mission is complete and when the Holy Spirit reveals the truths that elude them.

Until then they must be patient.

So, too, must we be patient when we wonder what our future holds and God makes us wait for the answers.

When Jesus confused his disciples on that dark Thursday night, they did not understand all he was saying. But they did their best to be patient. They had faith that when all was revealed, they would understand how God’s love was enveloping them all – and with that understanding comes joy.

 

Prayer: God our creator, we do not always understand how your plans will unfold. But at we understand that Advent is a time of patient anticipation as we await with eager joy the birth of the Christ Child and the renewal of your plan to bring all humanity closer to your eternal and unconditional love. Joy comes in the morning, in Jesus’ name, Amen.

 

S. Deacon Philip Jenks

No comments:

Post a Comment