Thursday, December 23, 2021

Advent Devotions: Love (12/23/2021


 Thursday December 23                       Love                                    Psalm 36:5-9

Your steadfast love, O Lord, extends to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds.

Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, your judgments are like the great deep; you save humans and animals alike, O Lord.

How precious is your steadfast love, O God! All people may take refuge in the shadow of your wings.

They feast on the abundance of your house, and you give them drink from the river of your delights.

For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light.

****

“Do you still love me?” I suspect most of us have, at one time or another, said this to or heard it from a friend, partner, spouse. Maybe the car got dented, or we forgot to do something. Maybe it was something more serious, like breaking a promise. Or something even more severe that broke the trust that had been shared or betrayed the love that is now in question. Being on either side of that inquiry places demands on the participant. If I am the asker, I need to reflect on what I’ve done, how sincere I am in my regret, how committed I am to reforming my ways. If I am the asked, how do I judge the hurt that has been done, how much risk am I willing to take in the future, is there enough left of the love I had to grow again and survive.  Sadly in our human relationships, sometimes the answer is “no” and both people are left wounded and lessened.

If we live our lives knowing we are in God’s presence, we also have times when we recognize our failings and turn to God and ask “do you still love me?” It is an incredible gift to us that God’s answer is always a resounding “yes!” God recognizes our weaknesses, the easy attraction of our own ego over the things God would have us do, but God doesn’t just wink and dismiss our sins lightly. God wants us to be repentant and strive to live the way shown to us through Jesus. But God always begins with a firm and steadfast “yes” of God’s love and reaches out to lift us and help us return to the path of uprightness. God shines the light of Jesus into our hearts to purify and strengthen us.

Prayer: God I humbly ask you to forgive my sins. As unworthy as I am, you shower me with your love and support me, looking in return only for my love to you and to others. Help me to keep you foremost in my mind as I interact with others, and guide me to show them your love and forgiveness through my actions. We pray in Jesus’ name. Amen

 

Mary Beth Commisso

No comments:

Post a Comment