Monday, December 20, 2021

Advent Devotions: Love (12/20/2021)


 Monday December 20                         Love                                        Isaiah 63:7

I will recount the gracious deeds of the Lord, the praiseworthy acts of the Lord, because of all that the Lord has done for us, and the great favor to the house of Israel that he has shown them according to his mercy, according to the abundance of his steadfast love.

****

As I'm spending time with my son and his family, the adults (Vinnie, Wendy and I), are having many conversations over our evening coffee. A recent one was a very good for this mother's heart.

Vinnie's dad died when he was 13 1/2 and he was angry with God for quite a while. That night, Vin started talking about how God used that "rough patch" to show him how faithful He was through it.  He said, "God just kept loving me Mom, putting Christians in my life in unexpected places, keeping me safe instead of dead or in prison, giving me a job with a Christian man who prayed every day and only listen to Christian radio. I mean I rode with him to jobs that were three or four hours away and the station was constant. There was never any judgment in our conversations, but he sure let me know if I messed up."

What's funny about this is how Vin would lovingly tease me for sharing how much Jesus loved me and what He did for me and, now, Vin is doing the same thing. Vinnie "... recounts the steadfast love of the LORD..." with others, especially if they're troubled.  He KNOWS Who the answer is.

Dear God - We KNOW You ALONE are the answer for us all. Thank You for Your steadfast love and for being there in our "rough patches." During Advent and after, please help us to be more like Your Son, Jesus.  Help us "recount Your steadfast love" to all those You bring across our path, even if it means stepping out of our comfort zone. Help us to REST and TRUST in "... the abundance of Your steadfast love."

In Jesus' name we pray, Amen

Deb Lyon


 

No comments:

Post a Comment