Friday, December 11, 2015

2015 Advent Devotions (12/11/15)

12/11/2015 Friday
John 14:1-7, 27-29 (NT)      Do Not Let Your Heart Be Troubled
Here is one way to look at this passage. It is not the traditional textbook way, but it frames it in such a way that you can easily wrap your mind around it. The answer comes first and then you wonder, what is the question?
The answer is, God is the answer and Jesus is the way.
What is the question? What is the answer to why is there life? Or. Why do I have consciousness? Or. Why do I exist? Or. Is there a reason for all this?
The answer to all the big questions is God.
God created us, to be his companion. God guides us, towards him. God gives us gives us a reason to move forward, to be closer to him. And since we lost our way a long time ago, he gives us a guide, Jesus, to help us back to the path he set us on so long ago.
Jesus is trying to tell his disciples the central reason for his presence on earth. The disciples get the first part of it (believe in God and me, and where I am going and you will be with me), but unsurely ask Jesus where is this place and how do they get there. He replies, I am the truth, the way, and the life. (He tells the truth about God, love and salvation.) No one comes to the Father, except through me. (I have shown you the path and what you must do.) If you know me, you know the Father also. (I am the triune God.) From now on you have known him and seen him. (By seeing me and following me, you are seeing God and what he wants from you.)
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid. You heard me say to you, “I am going away and I am coming to you.” If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, because the Father is greater than I. And now I have told you this before it occurs, so that when it does occur, you may believe. (Jesus gives his disciples his benediction of peace and tranquility, and a portending of the future so they will have concrete knowledge of God’s power.)


Don Icken

No comments:

Post a Comment