Wednesday, December 23, 2015

2015 Advent Devotions (12/23/15)

12/23/2015 Wednesday
1 Samuel 1:1-28      The Prophet Samuel
This reading is about the birth of the prophet, Samuel. For many years, Samuel’s mother Hannah was very sad because she could not bear a child. At one point, she went into the temple at Shiloh and prayed to God, asking Him for a son and vowing to give her son to God if her prayer was answered. The priest, Eli, saw her praying and said to her “May the God of Israel grant what you have asked of Him.” Shortly thereafter, Hannah became pregnant and bore a son she named Samuel, which means “God heard.”
While the story of Samuel’s conception reminds me of Jesus’ conception, the way I relate to this reading is how God answered Hannah. There is no indication in the reading that God spoke to Hannah through dreams, angels, prophets, etc. Yet God heard her prayer, and His answer was that she gave birth to a son. I’ve found that God answers my prayers by showing me something or letting me hear something shortly after I’ve made my petition, that I will recognize and understand to be His answer. For example, I know that God has heard my prayer when Pastor Jen mentions something in her sermon that directly relates to it, or when I am taken by surprise in seeing an object, such as a rose, soon after I’ve prayed. A friend of mine calls these experiences “God-incidences,” and like Hannah, I am happy when a God-incidence occurs with me because I know “God heard” my prayer.
Gracious God – As we prepare to celebrate the birth of Your Son, Jesus, please continue to hear our prayers and give us the God-incidences that lead us down the different paths you have chosen for us. I ask this in Your name. Amen


Arnold Schuff

No comments:

Post a Comment