Monday, March 10, 2014

Lenten Devotions: March 11, 2014


March 11, 2014                      Psalm 32

Tuesday                                   Genesis 4:1-16

                                                Hebrews 4:14—5:10

 

It is often difficult for us to understand God’s will and plan for us. I recall having great difficulty understanding God’s position regarding Cain and Abel when we discussed it in Sunday school. Cain was a farmer and raised crops. I get that. Abel was a shepherd and raised flocks. I found it troubling, knowing that later, the prophet Hosea says “For I desire mercy and not sacrifice.” Yet, God has “regard” for Abel’s animal offering but reject’s Cain’s crop offering. Perhaps I felt that way since my mother’s family were generations of farmers. When I questioned the apparent favoritism, my Sunday School teacher said perhaps Cain had held back some of the offering. Yet scripture doesn’t say that. Even after the murder, when Cain says the punishment is too much to bear, God sets a sign on him to protect him and prospers his family. We can never know the mind of the Lord. God had a plan for Cain and a plan for each of us. Often, willfulness has put me in difficult situations. I made decisions without waiting to see God’s clear plan. We must be open to Him, recognizing that he allowed His own son to be sacrificed that we might find Grace and Salvation.

 

Father in heaven, subdue my thoughts and desires and, yes, even my deep-seated plans, to Your divine will and “make Thy way plain before my face.” Amen

 

Franklyn Commisso


 

No comments:

Post a Comment