Monday, March 17, 2014

Lenten devotions: March 19, 2014


March 19, 2014                      Psalm 128

Wednesday                             Ezekiel 36:22-32

                                                John 7:53—8:11

 

What makes you happy? Many people would say that they think they would be happy if only they could win the lottery, or get a huge raise or new job, or have their children behave a certain way. “Doesn’t take much to make me happy,” so some folks say.

 

But how do the above examples of happiness compare to that here in Psalm 128? Does God really want us to be happy? No ‘name-it, claim-it prosperity Gospel’ for me!

 

Back in the fall I looked death more squarely in the face than I ever had before. Yes, I had doubts. Yes, I had questions. And, yes, embarrassingly, I was not always in the best mood nor was I always overly considerate of others around me. Living was tough! With such labored breathing, where was the fruit of that labor? How could I possibly be “happy” at such a time as that?

 

Pondering Psalm 128 has offered me at least a partial answer. I know that there is a difference in essence between the “happiness” we feel in the examples above versus the inner happiness we are aware of that comes from God when we “fear the Lord” and “walk in his ways.”

 

Happiness of this kind does not mean always having to wear a smile, not always having to appear to have it all together, nor never being selfish. Rather, it is a happiness that we experience deep within. It may show often on the outside, but need not always do so. It is a happiness of the kind that stands tall even when we stumble. It holds together when we ourselves cannot. Real happiness is when we know everything will be okay, because we trust God in all of our life’s circumstances, for better and for worse. 

 

Lord, help us rest more fully in you and love both you and our neighbor more fully! Amen.

 
Michael Boyd

No comments:

Post a Comment