Thursday, March 20, 2014

Lenten Devotions: March 25, 2014

March 25, 2014                      Psalm 81
Tuesday                                   Genesis 29:1-14
                                                1 Corinthians 10:1-4

Psalm 81 tells of a voice that has been heard but not recognized, "I hear a voice I had not known" and that voice announces that my plea has been heard and "you have been relieved of your burden." Are we open during this Lenten Season, and in all of our seasons of our life, to be surprised by the voice of the stranger that relieves us of our burdens?

In my ministry with inmates in a maximum security prison, with my involvement in working with the homeless, and in my daily contacts with my fellow humans I have often been stopped short, deeply moved, and wonderfully held by those on the fringe of my existence from whom I never expected love, forgiveness, and redemption.

The inmate who told me how I had changed his life just by coming to visit him.

The homeless person who said "Thanks" for giving him a chance for a new life.

The friend who recalled an act of kindness I had done and totally forgotten.


Be open to be surprised, share the love of God you have received, bestow it on others. One day you might be the "voice not known" touching the life of another.

Dear Lord, open my ears to hear the relieving unknown voices in my life and fill me with the courage to speak and be the unknown voice in the lives of those around me.
Amen

John Hagedorn

No comments:

Post a Comment